Posts

Showing posts from May, 2017

Starting Up (again) - An Update

Image
The renovation of our roof started around the second week of March and ended in the second week of May. The original roof is made up of nipa palm fronds which rotted easily and leaked quite badly. Now the roof is longspan hi-rib galvanised iron sheets with 5mm foam insulation. The design of the roof was also changed. The roof has 4 gables that serve as air vents to keep the house cool. Nipa is cooler of course but the maintenance of nipa, especially of a roof this large (about 250 square meters) is very difficult. So now I don't have to run around with basins, buckets and umbrellas looking for leaks whenever it rains. I have also just managed to clean up and put things back in their proper places.Such a major disruption has made it difficult for me to get back to crochet sooner. During this time I have been busy drawing designs and plans for the renovation of the pigpens (a total of about 80 square meters). Currently, I have one boar (Pinky) and two sows (Brownie and Number 3

Crochet a Sock

Image
Some time ago, I crocheted a sock, in search of the simplest construction method possible with crochet. I figured out one way which starts at the toe and proceeds upwards. Here is a documentation of the process of crocheting a sock which I hope will help you to understand shaping for the feet and in as a consequence, be motivated to experiment and develop other sock designs as well as crochet new related items such as crochet slippers, crochet shoes, fishnet stockings and ankle socks. Happy crocheting! Design Notes : My socks are for feet 9.5” long and about 4” wide. I used Yarn: Antipilling Acrylic by Ice Yarns (3:Light/4-ply) and Hook: 4mm. For a pair of calf-length socks I used 80 grams (or 200 meters) of yarn. Start at the toes I started with a foundation of 9 +2 ch. This foundation chain is about 2” long and is not meant to be the same width as the toes of your feet. If you use smaller or bigger hook and yarn, the foundation chain may need to be of different length. The basic

Cowl-Hat Experiment

Image
  I tried a small experiment a few days ago - a cowl that can also be used as a hat. I used cotton-cashmere yarn that I dyed a couple of months back.  My notes are below as well as progress photos and the finished item. I am not very happy with it as a hat but very pleased with it as a cowl. I think a much better design can be made.